*This product is discontinued by its manufacturer from 2017. Check here for the best line laser levels available on the market.
From its initial release in July 2004, the Dewalt DW087K Laser Level remains one of the best tools for leveling and aligning in construction projects.
While a number of innovations to the original laser level has been released by DEWALT, the original DW087K is still a go-to product for many construction companies because of its simplicity.
Equipped with a user-friendly control panel, an accuracy rating of ±1/8" and an over-molded housing, this self-leveling laser level is as reliable as ever.
Dewalt DW087K Review Summary
- Accuracy: + 1/8 inch at 30 feet
- Self leveling: Up to 5 degrees
- Range: Up to 50 feet indoors
- Mounting option: Multiple
- Weight: 3.5 pounds
- Dimension: 9.3" x 9" x 5"
- Best for: Home and commercial use, indoor small to mid-sized construction projects
Special Features Of Dewalt DW087K
DW087Kbegan a series of important features that became a gold standard for DEWALT laser levels. Many of these features have been adapted for new models, attesting to their usefulness and reliability.
- The tool has a rated accuracy of + 1/8" at up to 30 feet and self leveling up to 5 degrees.
- It has two laser beams for vertical and horizontal for checking straightness and squareness. The Class 2 laser diodes are bright and visible within 50 feet when used indoors.
- For greater flexibility, Dewalt Laser Level DW087K has multiple mounting options such as a built-in magnetic pivot bracket so you can readily attach it to metal or even a standard camera tripod for support.
- Has a blinking light indicator to tell you if the unit is out of level.
- Unlike the high-end 360-degree rotating line laser, the DW087K is compact. It weighs only 3.5 pounds and measures 9.3"x9"x5".
- It features an easy-to-use control panel and can be used out-of-the-box with just a press of a button.
- The over-molded housing is made of durable plastic. There is also a sturdy kit box made of recycled materials. The box has dedicated compartment for manual and an extra set of batteries.
- Uses 3 AA batteries (product comes with a set of batteries).
Pros and Cons
- Multiple mounting options for greater support
- Use of standard batteries, has power saving feature, no need for cables
- Horizontal and vertical beams for horizontal and vertical applications
- Out of level blinking indicator
- High accuracy rating of +1/8" (the same accuracy with Bosch GLL2-40)
- Self leveling up to 5 degrees
- Compact and durable
- Well-designed exterior and interior mechanisms
- Laser beams may be difficult to see outdoors or in bright light.
- Mounting clamp is designed only for thin metals or boards.
- User manual can be confusing because it comes in many languages.
Benefits of Using Dewalt DW087K Laser Level
Durability and Reliability
The laser DEWALT DW087K is one of the first line laser levels from DEWALT but it is still a favorite among construction professionals because of its durability and reliability.
It comes with double protection, thanks to its durable housing and kit box - you can actually throw it at the back of a truck without worrying if needs to be re-calibrated.
Horizontal & Vertical Laser Beams For Easier Laying Out Jobs
In the past, if you were installing tiles, you had to draw with chalk lines (not to mention you have to measure the tile first, estimate the distance in between tiles before you can start drawing), but with the DW087K, you simply press a button, and you can begin laying out the flooring.
Simple To Use
Are you installing drop ceilings or perhaps you want to ensure that the picture frame you are mounting on the wall is straight? The vertical laser beam of the DW087K can help you. Simply put the device on a leveled surface, turn on the beam, and you'll have a guide to ensure vertical alignment.
In the same way, if you want to ensure that the corners of the cabinet you are making is square, then just turn on both horizontal and vertical lines and you'll get immediate results.
As a compact device, Dewalt DW087K Laser Level has provided construction professionals with greater flexibility. Now it can be placed on top of a chair, a cabinet, or a camera tripod for better stability.
Moreover, because it is battery-powered, there are no pesky cables that could lead to mess and accidents in the jobsite.
For those who haven't used laser levels before, DEWALT has made it easier to decide, with the 90-day money back guarantee. Now you can test the device as much as you want, with no risk.
If you feel that the device doesn't meet your expectation of how a line laser should be, just send the device back within the prescribed period and you get a refund, no questions asked.
Using Tips for DW087K
This product comes with a set of 3 AA batteries so you can use it immediately out of the box. It is fairly simple to use, thanks to its one-button operation feature, so there is no real need to consult the manual before you use it. You can, however, get the most of your DEWALT DW087K Horizontal and Vertical Self-Leveling Line Laser by following these tips:
- Always store your tool inside the kit box to prevent damage to the laser diodes. Make sure you store it dry. It helps if you put silica gel inside the kit box to remove excess moisture.
- Although the tool could withstand water, it is not waterproof and best not to get it wet.
- The tool works best indoors and in low-light situations. If you have to use it outside, don't leave it out for an entire day to prevent malfunction of the out of level indicator.
- It comes with a one-year free service, so if you think it is not working properly, it is best to bring it to a DEWALT dealer. Don't open the device on your own, or you might lose the manufacturer warranty.
- Use it constantly to keep the device in optimum condition. You can use the laser level DEWALT DW087K for any task that requires alignment or squareness. Use it for steel framing of walls, or to set cabinets, or if you don't have any construction projects at the moment, you can do the same as other customers have done - use it to check if tables and chairs in a formal function are aligned properly.
Is DW087K Still a Good Choice?
Ask any construction professional and they will tell you - the attractiveness of DW087K only gets better with time. Over time, DEWALT has utilized better technologies to perfect its very first line laser, allowing it to deliver on its promise - a precision tool for your layout and alignment needs.
It is sturdy, easy to operate, and it works flawlessly like a $1,000+ laser line. Not to mention the fact that it is compact and is easy to transport in between jobsite. Truly, Dewalt DW087K is still the best in its class.