Handheld paint sprayers are very convenient tools for handling small and mid-sized painting jobs. Their compact and lightweight designs make them readily portable. Some are battery powered, allowing for their use in places where there is no electricity.
But finding a reliable handheld paint sprayer can be quite an undertaking. There are tons of features to consider. Not to mention that they mostly come in either the airless or HVLP variations. Some models promise unrivaled performance only to breakdown after a few uses.
It’s for these reasons that we took our time to test and try some of the popular models out there.
With this in-depth guide, you should be able to find your best handheld paint sprayer. We have covered both the affordable and high-end categories to suit your budget.
|Best Handheld Paint Sprayers 2019|
| Graco TC Pro Cordless Airless Paint Sprayer ||Read My Review|
| Graco Ultra Cordless Airless Handheld Paint Sprayer ||Read My Review|
| Wagner FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer ||Read My Review|
| HomeRight Super Finish Max Extra ||Read My Review|
Easy to Control
| Graco TrueCoat 360 VSP Handheld Paint Sprayer ||Read My Review|
| Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Paint Sprayer ||Read My Review|
| Wagner Power Painter Plus ||Read My Review|
Best Handheld Paint Sprayer Reviews
1 – Graco TC Pro Cordless Airless Paint Sprayer
The Graco TC Pro Cordless airless paint sprayer is reputed for its superior finish on small painting jobs. Its lightweight design makes it readily portable and very reliable. With the powerful DeWALT battery, it stands as the best handheld airless paint sprayer today.
- TC Pro SwitchTips that deliver impressive spraying results at low pressure
- Clearing clogs made easy with Reverse-A-Clean
- FlexLiner Paint Bags system that allows for spraying in any direction, even upside down
- On-the-job ProConnect pump replacement system with just a screwdriver
- Equipped with 2 rechargeable DeWALT 20V Li-Ion batteries
- Won’t hack it on large painting projects
- Occasional DIYers might find it somewhat pricey
Graco TC Pro is powered by a DeWALT’s 20-Volt MAX XR lithium-ion battery. A well-known manufacturer of high-quality, contractor-grade batteries. With the power from this battery, you can spray up to 1 gallon with each charge.
At the core of this handheld airless sprayer, Graco has included the Triax triple piston pump. With it, you are assured of years of reliability and unmatched performance. Thanks for the durable carbide piston built quality.
Our favorite features are the ProControl II and SmartControl technology. With the ProControl II, you can adjust the motor speed for pressure control from 500 to 2,000PSI. Low pressure means more control over your paint job with less overspray.
SmartControl offers a precision pressure control that cuts out pressure fluctuations. As a result, you will end up with a consistent spray fan. This helps in achieving a professional quality finish with less overspray.
TIP: To enhance its durability, always give it a thorough cleaning after every use. Graco has included 4-Oz Pump Armor Storage Fluid and a manual for maintenance.
Graco TC Pro is powerful, portable, and convenient. It boasts of achieving smooth, even coats with most materials, making it the perfect tool for professionals, DIYers, and homeowners who want to complete small painting jobs. It has an annual use recommendation of up to 50 gallons.
2 – Graco Ultra Cordless Airless Handheld Paint Sprayer 17M363
The Graco Ultra Cordless airless handheld paint sprayer has a lot of likeness to the Graco TC Pro. DIY enthusiasts and professionals equally agree that this tool offers the fastest way to finish small jobs. It delivers superior coatings with little efforts.
- Easy to set-up, use, and cleanup, even for amateurs
- 2 rechargeable DeWALT 20-Volt XR lithium-ion batteries included
- Equipped with a RAC X FFLP 514 tip with Reverse-A-Clean for easy clogs clearing
- Sprays water-based and mineral spirits based paints
- Comes with 4 reusable 32-Oz FlexLiner bags
- Extra tips must be ordered separately for use with thin materials
- Pricey for hobbyist painters and some DIY enthusiasts
Just like TC Pro,the Graco Ultra Cordless Airless Handheld Paint Sprayer obtains its power from the DeWALT 20V Lithium-Ion battery. It sprays up to 1 gallon with each charge. The battery is known for its faster charge time of about 35 minutes.
And you will love the Triax triple piston pump. Graco built it from durable stainless steel and carbide components. They are bonded by high strength polymer. Thus enhancing its durability while giving it a lightweight design.
With this pump, you have an unmatched performance with smooth and even airless finish. No thinning is required with most materials. The ProConnect technology allows for on-the-job pump replacement with just a screwdriver.
With the ProControl II technology, you can adjust the motor speed for pressure control from 500 to 2,000PSI. Combined with the SmartControl, you will end up with a consistent spray fan with less overspray.
TIP: This tool is compatible with 0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.014, and 0.016 RAC X FFLP Spray Tips. The included tip is only ideal for thicker paints like latex. Ordering smaller tips will help you get smooth and even finishes when using light materials.
Like the TC Pro, the Graco Ultra cordless handheld sprayer is lightweight and powerful. With it, DIYers and contractors can complete small painting jobs with a professional touch, earning its place as another best handheld paint sprayer by Graco.
3 – Wagner FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer
Wagner FLEXiO 590 comes as a complete sprayer kit for small indoor/outdoor painting jobs. This handheld electric paint sprayer boasts of its impressive painting power and flexibility.
Its easy-to-use design makes it paint 8 times faster than when using a brush.
- Easy to use and clean-up, and comes with a hard-shell case for storage
- Works perfectly for both small and large painting jobs with unthinned materials
- Sprays up to 8.0 gallons per hour, and will cover an 8’ x 10’ surface in 1 to 5 minutes
- Allows for horizontal or vertical and wide or narrow pattern adjustment.
- Lock-n-Go split gun design for a hassle-free nozzle change.
- Its bulky design can lead to fatigue after extended use
- Short power cord, an extension cord needed
- A complex reservoir opening system that makes the filling and refilling tiresome
The Wagner FLEXiO 590 HVLP paint sprayer features two patented technologies. That’s the powerful X-Boost turbine and the innovative iSpray nozzle. The X-Boost turbine allows for spraying unthinned paints and stains.
With the iSpray nozzle, you can easily complete large painting jobs with little efforts. Such jobs like fences, exterior walls and sidings, and interior walls. Wagner has also included another nozzle for small projects that need a fine finishing.
That’s is the Detail Finish Nozzle. Which has earned this tool the place of the best handheld paint sprayer for cabinets! With it, you’ll achieve a glass-smooth coat on cabinets and other wooden surfaces like furniture.
Adjusting the paint flow has been simplified. Thanks for the X-Boost Power Dial that has 9-speed settings. With it, you can effortlessly adjust the flow of material for a precise painting job. As a result, you end up with less overspray.
The Wagner FLEXiO 590 sprayer comes with a 1.5-quart container. A capacity that is more than enough to cover large surfaces with less frequent refills. This all-purpose handheld sprayer will work with most materials, including thicker paints like latex.
We found the Detail Finish Nozzle of Wagner FLEXiO 590 quite reliable on small painting jobs. A reason that earned it the place of the best handheld paint sprayer for cabinets. With it, you should be able to achieve glass-smooth finishes on your wooden furniture.
4 – HomeRight Super Finish Max Power Painter
The HomeRight Super Finish Max HVLP paint sprayer has earned a place in our handheld paint sprayer reviews thanks to its powerful motor, rich features, and extra accessories.
It sports a lightweight design that makes it versatile and portable.
- Impressively easy to use and clean-up
- Lightweight design for easy handling and portability
- Works with 6 spray tips, 3 included in the package
- Handles thicker paints like latex with little or no thinning
- A large 40-Oz container that cuts out the need for frequent refilling
- Extension cord required, owing to its short power cord
- The plastic body doesn’t feel that premium compared to the competition
The Homeright Super Finish Max HVLP paint sprayer is powered by a 450W motor. The extra power allows it to spray thicker materials with less paint thinning. Yet, our favorite feature on this tool is the volume control knob. It offers for spray pattern adjustment from 1-inch to 12-inches wide.
With this handheld sprayer, you have two different air caps on top of the motor power. This design helps you control the flow of materials to achieve a superior finish. The sprayer atomizes paint into tiny particles, thus giving you a factory-like finish.
The versatility of this sprayer is enhanced by the three included spray tips. The 1.5mm and the 2.0mm tips are perfect for small jobs like cabinets and furniture. With the large 4.0mm tip, you can effortlessly complete large painting projects like decks, walls, and fences.
TIP: The 1.5mm tip is ideal for spraying stains and polyurethane on woodwork. But to get a glass-smooth finish on furniture, you will need to separately get a 1.0mm spray tip. It’s especially perfect for spraying sealers and varnish.
The HomeRight Super Finish Max is such a powerful and portable paint sprayer. Its versatility makes it the best handheld paint sprayer for multi-purpose use. It has won the hearts of most DIYers and homeowners who want an easy-to-control HVLP paint sprayer.
5 – Graco TrueCoat 360 VSP Handheld Paint Sprayer
Yet another handheld airless paint sprayer by Graco! But unlike the TC Pro and Ultra Cordless, the TrueCoat 360 VSP is far more affordable. You’ll still get it in a strong built-quality with a powerful performance.
- Easy to use and clean, a durable storage bag included
- Large 42-Oz reusable paint bags (4 included) offers for less frequent refills
- The VacuValve technology allows for spraying in any direction
- Reverse-A-Clean spray tip that offers for hassle-free clogs clearing
- On-board tip storage that offers for quick switch between the 4’’ and 12’’ tips.
- The 18-inches power cord is short, you’ll need to get an extension cord separately.
The TrueCoat 360 VSP is an airless handheld electric paint sprayer. It features a stainless steel piston pump that delivers high working pressure of between 500PSI and 1,500PSI. The extra power allows it to work with unthinned paints, delivering a superior finish.
This Graco handheld paint sprayer features a variable speed control knob that enhances its versatility. With it, you can paint at a low speed for increased control. Low speeds are especially ideal when handling small detailed painting jobs. You can also choose to work at a high speed to get the job done faster.
Graco has also equipped this tool with the FlexLiner paint bag system. This design replaces the traditional cups, making it ideal for multi-color projects.
And with the VacuValve technology, you will enjoy spraying in any direction. It creates an airtight system that can even spray upside down.
The TrueCoat 360 VSP is perfect for completing small and medium painting jobs. It’s such an affordable choice for interior painting, furniture, decks, and fences; making it the best handheld airless paint sprayer for DIYers and homeowners who are on a budget.
Learn more: Best Commercial Paint Sprayer Reviews 2019
6 – Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Paint Sprayer
The Wagner Control Spray Double Duty is a powerful and versatile HVLP paint sprayer. This tool is affordably priced, despite its efficiency in handling small painting jobs. Making it ideal for DIYers, handymen/women, and professionals.
- Impressively easy to use and clean-up
- An adjustable material flow trigger that helps reduce overspray
- Lock-n-Go spray cup for hassle-free filling and refilling
- A lightweight design that makes it flexible and portable
- Does an amazing job when painting furniture, cabinets, and wooden surfaces
- Denser materials like latex require thinning
Wagner has designed this sprayer with a powerful 2-stage air turbine, allowing it to handle denser materials with little or no thinning. With it, you should be able to handle small and medium interior/exterior painting jobs. And get a superior finish!
To ensure that you’re in control, the sprayer comes with a variable-control trigger and spray pattern adjustment. With the variable-control trigger, you can adjust the flow patterns from 1/2” to 10” wide. Narrow patterns let you handle small jobs with less overspray.
Adjusting the spray pattern has been made easy with the 3-position air cap. All you need is to just twist the cap to either spray vertically, horizontally, and in a circular pattern. Allowing you to paint fences, walls, ceilings, furniture, and your DIY models.
The Wagner Control Spray Double Duty HVLP paint sprayer comes with 2 material cups. A small 1-quart cup for interior projects, and a larger 1.5-quart cup for large projects. Earning the place of the most affordable handheld electric paint sprayer.
7 – Wagner Power Painter Plus Airless Paint Sprayer
Graco handheld paint sprayer reviews have dominated the airless category in this roundup list. But Wagner has a high-quality and versatile airless sprayer for DIYers and homeowners. The Wagner Power Painter Plus is not only powerful, but also affordable.
- Works with denser materials like latex and acrylic paints
- A Sure Prime Suction Valve that eliminates the need for re-priming after refills
- Comes with a 1-quart twist-n-lock container for easy filling and refilling
- Includes a material selector for stain and paint
- Applies a whopping 6.6 gallon per hour
- The 12-inch power cord is shorter, you’ll need to get an extension cord separately
- Bulkier when the container is full
Wagner designed this sprayer with two unique but very handy features. These are the Optimus Dual Tip technology and EZ Tilt flexible suction tube. The Optimus tip rotates, such that you can get vertical or horizontal spray patterns.
The working mechanism of the Optimus Dual Tip technology is pretty simple. It features two orifices with a low-pressure vacuum between them. This design draws more paint particles into the spray pattern. Giving you a more uniform coverage, compared to when using a single-orifice tip.
Things get better when you add the patented EZ Tilt flexible suction tube into the mix. With it, you can use the sprayer in any direction. Point it 90-degrees upwards to spray ceilings, or downwards to paint decks. The flexible tube will still draw the paint.
TIP: We strongly recommend using a painting booth for small jobs. This tool produces a lot of paint mist that can land on your lawn, furniture, or rugs.
The Wagner Power Painter Plus is pretty easy to use and maintain. Earning its place as the best handheld paint sprayer for occasional painting projects. It’s especially ideal for small projects like garages, furniture, decks, and smaller houses.
Wagner vs Graco Handheld Sprayer: Which is the Best for Me?
As you might have noticed, our best handheld sprayer reviews are dominated by two well-known brands. Yet the Wagner vs Graco handheld sprayer battle is more about your painting needs. And not a question of the best brand!
Graco has been in the game since 1926. Its main focus has been engineering high-quality commercial-grade paint sprayers. Such models are very reliable, versatile, and offer professional finishes. They are also durable enough to last for several years.
Wagner Spraytech joined the paint sprayer world way later. For over 20 years, they have focused on designing consumer-grade paint sprayers and accessories. Yet, their easy-to-use products are still as reliable and versatile as Graco’s.
Why Choose a Graco Handheld Paint Sprayer?
- Strong build-quality that enhances their durability
- Compact and lightweight designs that make them ultra-portable
- Easy to clear clogging with the Reverse-A-Clean spray tips
- Most of their airless models will spray unthinned latex and acrylic paints
- Manufactures powerful, commercial-grade paint sprayers for professional painters
- Feature some handy technologies like the patented FlexLiner Paint Bag system
- Have some reasonably priced models for consumers (DIYers, handymen, and homeowners)
- An amazing customer service department, with service centers across the world
- Some of their models are battery powered, making them convenient for use without electricity
- Most of their models come with a 1-year or 2-years warranty
However, the main drawback of Graco handheld paint sprayers is their pricing. Due to their professional-grade build-quality, they are way more expensive. That’s when compared with the Wagner handheld paint sprayers.
Why Choose a Wagner Handheld Paint Sprayer?
- Most are reasonably-priced consumer-grade products
- Built in a lightweight design for portability
- Their HVLP models are very economical with paint, which is great especially for primer
- Most are easy-to-control even for beginners
- Offer innovative technologies like iSpray and X-Boost turbines
- Wagner designs sprayers for different skill levels, from amateur DIYers to professional painters
- Superb customer service, known for being very responsive and resourceful
- Most of their models include a 1-year warranty
With technology being a key factor in Wagner’s designing department, you may not be able to get replacements for older models. Needless to say, most of their models aren’t ideal when professional finishing is needed.
If you’re locked on the Wagner vs Graco handheld sprayer decision limbo, considering your painting needs will help!
Wagner is perfect for beginners, hobbyist painters, and DIYers. Those who are looking to occasionally handle small and mid-sized painting jobs. Their models are also extremely easy to use.
However, if you’re looking for the best handheld paint sprayer for professional finishing jobs, go for a Graco. They come in a superior quality that makes them more reliable and versatile than Wagner. But you will have to spend some extra bucks!
Read more: Best Paint Sprayer For Home Use
With your painting needs in mind, finding the best handheld paint sprayer should be pretty easy. A powerful Graco airless sprayer will easily handle your professional finishing jobs. While an easy-to-use Wagner HVLP alternative will offer superb coatings on DIY projects.