A laser tape measure is an important tool for people in both construction and real estate industry making the measurement task become easier and faster. Because of their ease of use, both amateur and professionals can use them alike.
The challenge comes in when you have to choose the best laser measure to buy from the many available today on the market.
To help you make an informed decision, I have classified the laser tape measures into three main categories namely:
- Home use laser measure: mostly for indoor projects at home
- Mid-range laser measure: for general construction uses
- Hi-end laser measure: especially for professionals
Below are laser measure reviews in each category to help you choose the right model for your construction project.
You are a homeowner working on a simple, small scale remodeling project at home, but still want it to come out perfectly, here are some of the things you should consider when choosing the best laser tape measure:
- If you don’t spend a lot of time working on a single project, you should choose an inexpensive laser tape measure with basic features
- Choose the laser tape that is easy to use. The most suitable laser measures for home use do not come with many complicated features that might keep you working on them all day long for better configuration
- For small scale home improvement projects, you don’t need a laser measure with very long range, choose the one with shorter distances will save you a lot of money
Now, have a look at two laser tape measures that are most recommended for home use:
|Bosch DLR130K||Bosch GLM15|
|Range||2-in. to 130-ft||6-in. to 50-ft|
|Accuracy||±1/16 in||± 1/8-in|
|Shop at Amazon||Shop at Amazon|
#1 – Bosch DLR130K – Best Laser Measure For Home Use
This Bosch laser measure utilizes the precision laser technology so it can deliver faster and easy measurements each time you get to use it.
- Get fast and accurate measurements with the product
- Various modes of measurement available
- An ergonomic soft grip is available for easy use of the product
- It does not offer the best precision that some people would want
- Not so good outside under daylight
Below are advantages of using Bosch DLR130K
- You get several modes when using the product including length, volume, area and continuous measurement for maximum versatility. This makes it better to use in different applications even for home use
- The Bosch DLR130K has an ergonomic soft grip area. You can now easily hold it in your hand without worrying about dropping without knowing
- For an affordable product, the Bosch DLR130K Laser Measure delivers better range than other models in its category. This laser measure has an amazing range of 130 feet and an accuracy of 1/16 inch. That makes it affordable and accurate too when it comes to making the measurements.
#2 – Bosch GLM 15 – The Most Compact Laser Measure
The Bosch GLM15 model is what you need for simple, but accurate measuring around the home.
- It is compact in size and shape for easy portability
- It delivers a respectable range for its price
- It can be operated with one hand
- It has a lower accuracy for high precision applications
- The tool doesn't show results in inches only so you have to take time to convert measurement
Benefits of Bosch GLM15 Compact Laser Measure:
- For this model, it is made to be one-button operation laser measure. You will not find many buttons on the product that sometimes are just confusing
- With a range of 50 feet, you can use this Bosch laser measure for different applications in a small area such the basement or any other room in the house, for example, measuring wall before painting
- Having a square base makes it possible for the Bosch GLM15 to stand on its own so that you can adjust the other tools without moving the laser measure
Home Use Laser Measure: Which One To Buy?
As you can see, both laser measures have many benefits to be a great tool for home users.
However, for those looking for the best among the two, the definite choice would be buying the Bosch DLR130K laser measure. The model has better accuracy and measuring range as compared to that of GLM15.
Still, if you want a simple model to measure length/distance only, the Bosch GLM15 Laser Measure may be all you need.
How about when:
- You are a home user spending most of your free time on home improvement projects on a regular basis, or
- You are a professional who needs to perform fast and accurate measurements mostly indoor?
Then a laser measure which is more durable with better features than the basic ones will work best for you. That is when I came up with reviews on best laser measure for construction.
Here are best laser measuring tools that fall under this category:
|Bosch GLM 80||Leica DISTO D2||Dewalt DW03050||Bosch GLM 50|
|Range||265 ft||200 ft||165 ft||165 ft|
|Accuracy||±1/16 in||±1/16 in||±1/16 in||±1/16 in|
|Memory||Last 20 measurements||Last 10 measurements||Last 5 measurements||Last 3 measurements|
|Single Indirect Measuring||•||•||•||•|
|Combined Indirect Measuring||•||•||•|
|Shop now||Shop now||Shop now||Shop now|
Click here for quick reviews at best mid-range laser tape measures
My Pick-Up Criteria
Before going into laser tape measure reviews for construction use, I would like to share my criteria when choosing laser measure tools for this category:
- The laser measures in this category should have measurement range from 165 feet and above but not exceed 300 feet (which I call “mid-range” laser measures) so the laser measure can cover most construction projects yet they are affordable tooThe mid-range laser measures have
- The mid-range laser measures have superior features as compared to the home use models. Their functionality is also improved and can be used in many construction measurement works
- The mid-range laser tape measures are seen to be great for indoor uses. They can be used for outdoor applications, but they perform best under indoor conditions
- With such features, these laser tape measures are ideal tools for tradesmen such as electricians, contractors, painters, masons, and builders
Taking measurements such as distance and angle is much easier with the Bosch GLM 80. This is all possible with the advanced laser technology that makes it deliver the accurate measurements that many people would love to get.
- It can take over 25,000 measurements on a single charge
- The laser distance covers up to 265-ft
- It is compact and user-friendly
- The product is not built to be sturdy as it feels fragile when using it
Benefits Of Bosch GLM 80 Laser Measure
- The Bosch GLM 80 laser measure comes with several models (length, area, volume, even angle measurement) to help you get measurements in different dimensions. Now you can easily analyze the area and make decisions based on such analysis
- This Bosch laser measure is made to be compact in size for easy portability. You can keep it in your pocket and take it out whenever you have to use it
- The Bosch GLM 80 laser measuring tool is powered by a 3.7-volt lithium-ion battery that will allow for up to 25,000 measurements per charge. It’s time to stop worrying about battery draining so fast
You no longer have to risk breaking a leg while balancing on a ladder just to measure the ceiling height. With Leica Disto D2, you will get to experience an easy way of taking measurements starting today.
- The laser measure has an ergonomic and comfortable grip that will keep it fit securely in the hand
- The Leica Disto D2 is made to be dust proof for easier use around busy construction sites
- It comes with an impressive 200-feet measuring range
- Some people have faced a problem reading the fractions in the decimal mode. Most of the factions are barely visible
Special Features Of Leica DISTO D2
- The Leica DISTO D2 have an accuracy within 1/16 inch making sure that you will get the precise measurements from your laser measure better than using a tape measure
- The Leica laser measure also lets you crack the Pythagorean functions inbuilt in the system to quickly calculate the height and width of the room indirectly. Such a feature will also make it easy to get the accurate measurements even for places that are hard to reach
- The unit can be used to take measurements from corners and edges all thanks to the unique flip-out end piece feature
- The calculations and measurements are clearly displayed on the illuminated easy to read display
Coming from a brand such as DEWALT, it is a sure way of saying that the product will deliver on your expectations.
- It can survive falls from 6 feet (2 meters)
- It is made to be water and debris resistant to make it have more applications
- It has a large operating range of 165 ft.
- The product’s accuracy should be improved as sometimes you have to recut to get it right
Benefits Of Dewalt DW03050 Laser Measure:
- With the automatic calculations, you can be sure that it would be easy to get other distances indirectly without having to strain when taking measurements
- The Dewalt tape laser measure comes with a memory unit that will get to store the last five measurements so that you may retrieve them for further clarifications
- Having a back-lit display makes it so easy to improve on screen visibility so that you can see the measurements in cases of dim or too bright conditions
- When buying the DEWALT laser measure DW03050, you can be sure of getting a durable laser measure. The over-molded housing provides the durability in a product that you would need in a construction tool. It can still be used even when it falls from 6-foot height
Bosch is a quite known brand when it comes to delivering the best laser measure products. This one does not disappoint at all when it comes to taking measurements.
- The precise laser measuring technology delivers on impressive precision that most builders want
- It has several measurement modes that can help you take easy measurements
- The automatic backlit display helps with easy and convenient viewing
- It is difficult to see the laser outside in bright sunlight
- The laser dot is small so it becomes very hard to see after long distance
Bosch Laser Measure GLM 50 – A Time Saver For Indoor Projects
- The Bosch GLM 50 comes with five modes that can be used to take measurements for various applications. The modes include length, area, continuous measurement, indirect length measurements and volume too
- The accuracy of 1/16 inch is within the acceptable limits of most people who would love to use the product
- The automated backlit display delivers on better viewing of the measured distances whenever using the product
Which Mid-Range Laser Measure To Buy?
Each product mentioned above for mid-range use have its advantages and disadvantages. For people looking for a product that can deliver on their needs better and with high precision, I recommend buying the Bosch GLM 80 laser distance measurer.
With features such as tilt sensors, you get to enjoy using the product with more precision and accuracy. It is not just that, this Bosch laser measure will store the last 20 measurements giving you a chance to refer to them if the need comes up. Most people who have used would agree that its ergonomic design makes it feel comfortable in the pockets or hand.
See also: Tips for using a laser tape measure
The high-end laser measures are often known to be more precise and accurate whenever they are used to deliver on measurements. Many people who opt for such devices would not want to leave any margin for error.
My top picks for hi-end models are:
|Leica DISTO E7500i||Leica DISTO E7400x||Bosch GLR 825|
|Range||650 ft||265 ft||Up to 825 ft|
|Memory||30 displays||20 displays||30 displays|
|Integrated Viewfinder||4X zoom||1.6X viewfinder|
|360-Degree Tilt Sensor||•||•|
|Stake out Function||•||•||•|
|Sloped Object Measurement||•|
|Shop now||Shop now||Shop now|
Click here for quick review on top modern laser measures
Why should you buy the hi-end laser measure?
Maybe you are considering whether you should buy a functional laser measure or a more advanced model. If yes, some of the reasons why you would want to buy the high-end models are:
- The long range exhibited by the high-end models is desired by many people in the construction industry. You will be able to take measurements over long ranges easily
- You will also get more advanced measurements modes integrated into the devices. Such modes could include trapezoid, stake out, multi- surface or even double indirect measuring. You might also get some of them being touch screen making them faster to operate
- These best laser measure tapes can be used for both indoor and outdoor projects. You no longer have to buy different products to be used for indoor and outdoor conditions separately
- Their various features make the laser measures in this category to be ideal for different professions. Most people who use them are in engineering, real estate, contractors, HVAC and architecture. These are people who would not want to make any assumptions when it comes to accuracy.
Below are my reviews on top 3 hi-end models you can buy today and experience the benefits they have to offer
The Bosch GRL825 can measure distances of up to 825 feet with an impressive accuracy of 1/25 inch. So far it has been rated as the longest and most accurate outdoor laser measure on the market today.
With such a measuring range, it simply means the product is built for big jobs that require superior precision at all times.
The Bosch laser measure GRL825 comes with 11 measurement modes to choose from based on your needs at the moment. You can always choose the one you feel is appropriate based on the application. Some new applications added include combined indirect modes, trapezoid, and double indirect modes.
You can still find the hidden or hard to reach measurements using the Pythagorean Theorem to get the exact values.
- It comes with more measurement modes for better analysis of measurements of a place
- The display is far easier to read and interpret
- It comes with a 1.6X magnification viewfinder that helps with fixing on long range and outdoor measurement
- The instruction manual is not very clear and helpful enough to help with complicated functions
The Leica DISTO is rated as being easing and effortless to use for outdoor distance measurements.
- It comes with high accuracy of about 1mm which is better than 1/16 inch common in many laser measures
- It is easy to use even if it is incorporated with complex functionalities
- The housing and keypad are well sealed against water and dust to make the product usable in different scenarios
- The laser measure drains a lot of power from the batteries meaning you have to change every few hours
Leica Disto E7500i – The Highly Advanced Tool For Measurement
- The Leica Disto E7500i features the digital point finder display and 360-degree tilt sensors. This means that you get to take measurements which are impossible when using the conventional distance meters
- The product seems to be ready to tackle the future challenges since it comes with Bluetooth Smart 4.0 capability and additional attractive apps
- The Leica Disto E7500i model can be able to take measurements with the highest level accuracy of 1mm (better than 1/16 inch)
- To help with outdoor measurements, this Leica laser measure displays crosshairs on screen to easily target the laser point
The Leica Disto E7400x model is seen to be the perfect blend of functionality and precision for the laser measuring device. Most people in the engineering and construction industry would use it for accurate measurements.
- You can now easily calculate the vertical values by using the 360 tilt sensor
- The housing and keypad are made to be water and dust proof
- Its display is easy to read with 4 simple illuminate lines
- The laser is seen to become less visible in the sunlight after several feet
Highlighted Features Of Leica Disto E7400x
- The Leica laser measure comes with a respectable 390-feet range and accuracy of 1mm
- To make it last longer, the sensitive elements of the product are covered with a solid rubber over molding and an additional reinforced housing. Several drop tests have been made and they all show that the Leica Disto E7400x laser measure can withstand the daily bumps when using at any workplace
- The manufacturer made the laser measure to be dust and water proof so that you can use the Leica Disto E7400x without worrying about having to clean it more often or it getting destroyed from water and dust particles
Right now you should be in a position to know about which laser measure to buy. The factors you would always consider to choose the best laser measures are the laser range, accuracy, measurement modes, durability among many others.
With many manufacturers always coming up with new models that can handle your needs, do not let yourself be easily confused with the many features, but make sure you focus on the important ones first.
Buy the best laser measure today and get to enjoy getting accurate measurements at all times.
See also: Best laser level tools for construction