DEWALT has done it again. With the release of Dewalt DW089K Self-Leveling 3-Beam Line Laser, the construction industry has a new tool for better lay outing jobs.
The best thing about it is, like other tools from DEWALT. Whether you are mapping out layouts for cabinets, door or windows, or you simply want to check for “squareness” of your cement walls or your floor tiles, Dewalt Laser Level DW089K is a must-have.
DEWALT DW089K Review Summary
DEWALT DW089K Self-Leveling 3-Beam Line Laser
- Laser Color: Red
- Effective Range (Visual): 50 ft
- Accuracy: 1/8 inch
- Self-Leveling Range: +/- 4 degrees
- Laser Class: 2
- Weight: 4.6 lbs
- Warranty: 3 years limited warranty with 1 year free service
- Top Features: Second plumbline, micro adjustment knob, brighter laser diodes
- Best for: Home and commercial use, light construction work
Pros and Cons
To help you decide whether Dewalt DW089K Laser Level is the tool for your needs, I have summarized the pros and cons of this product:
- Triple beam laser
- Flexible and multifunctional
- 2 times brighter diode
- With pivot magnets for easier function
- Power saving, it uses only 4 AA batteries and batteries can last up to 30 hours
- With an accuracy margin of +/- 1/8in (horizontal and vertical)
- Accuracy distance of 30 ft (horizontal and vertical)
- Visual strength up to 50ft
- A little heavy, the laser level can slide down even with minimal vibrations
- Its magnets are not strong enough, requiring a second magnet to be used
- It is a bit difficult to keep steady on metal surfaces
Special Features of DEWALT DW089K
Built for professional construction work, DW089K is highly accurate. And thanks to its one-button operation and hassle-free control panel, it is easy to operate even for non-experts.
It has a durable exterior and a bright laser diode so you can use it anywhere, and be assured of accurate readings, regardless of job site terrain and lighting conditions.
The Dewalt DW089K 3-Beam Line Laser offers the following features:
- A second plumb line or a third beam which creates a right angle on the floor and the ceiling, making it useful for wall layouts and map
- Loved the built-in magnetic pivot bracket from the Dewalt DW088K Cross Line Laser? The Dewalt DW089K 3-beam laser level also has this feature so you can mount it on metallic surfaces for greater flexibility.
- The 620 – 690nm < 1.5mW laser diode is two times brighter than standard lasers so that it can still be seen even in bright construction job conditions.
- A single button operation system and easy to use control panel allow you to have access to all of the machine’s features so you can start working as soon as you can!
- It has a micro-adjustment knob that is highly precise, and it requires a minimal amount of tuning to align 90-degree intersecting lines.
- The tool has been tested with an accuracy level of +/- 1/8in for 30ft for a longer range of lay outing.
- Worrying about the danger of too many of cables stretching across your job site? Dewalt Laser DW089K has the perfect solution. It utilizes batteries so there is no need to use cables for power. The best part is that its only uses 4 AA batteries to operate and a set can last up to 30 hours.
- The laser reaches up to 30 feet so you can now get more tasks done with just a single measurement.
- A track clearance of over 1-3/4 inches lessens the need for additional lasers or other accessories to increase the laser capability.
- The product now comes with a durable metallic case for added protection.
- To top it all off, the laser DW089K now has a three-year limited warranty, with one year of free service in case you need help in operating and maintaining this power tool.
Benefits & Application of DEWALT DW089K
- DW089K is an evolved version of the DEWALT DW088K Cross Line Laser (and also DEWALT DW087K). With the extra beam, DW089K users do not need to keep resetting even when they move to a new location. Just by using the micro-adjustment knob, users can simply realign lasers to check for leveling and “squareness”
- Thanks to its second plumb line, DW089K can now be used even for wall layouts, cabinets, floor and wall tiling, chair rails, drop ceilings, even windows and doors. Now, there is no need to buy another tool for lay-outing these unusual construction needs, enabling the user to save time and money.
- The third beam and expanded visual range of 50 ft (which can be extended up to 165 ft when used with the DEWALT DW0892 Line Laser Detector), this line laser level can now be used for larger construction sites.
- Because the tool uses batteries, it eliminates the need for cables, which in turn minimizes the mess and hazards of the job site.
Using Tips for DEWALT DW089K
The key to making the most of this product is care and maintenance.
For many customers who are new at construction, the lack of a pendulum lock can be a bother, but this can be easily addressed by storing the tool properly, preferably inside its metal case, so that it doesn’t jostle when being transported.
In case the laser is not calibrated, one can always have it recalibrated at a DEWALT service center.
It must be mentioned that since the product also has a one-year free service contract, it is best to bring the tool to a DEWALT dealer before the first year expires so that parts worn by normal use can be replaced for free.
Annual checkup and maintenance are also recommended to avoid major issues in the future.
Should I Buy The DEWALT DW089K?
DEWALT has definitely outdone themselves with DW089K Self-Leveling Laser. It has made construction layout and measurement jobs easier and faster. Its flexibility has also helped in shaping most sites, from fixing, redecorating, or making your own bathrooms to building, reconstructing, and fixing commercial spaces and buildings.
Despite its few downsides, the DW089K laser is still a big advancement from its predecessors and is one of the best line laser levels available in the market today. Although it works best for smaller applications, this 3-beam line laser is versatile enough to be used for larger scale work.
So, are you installing cabinets, suspending something from the ceiling, adding wainscoting or just simply checking for squareness of a room? Wherever you need a straight plumb or a level line, the DEWALT DW089K Laser Level will work well for you.
See also: Best tripod for laser level