The Bosch GRL300HVCK Self-Leveling Rotary Laser Level is an especially impressive rotary laser. Rotary lasers project a beam 360 degrees, meaning you can create a virtual chalk line of horizontal and vertical planes. This is useful for jobs that require horizontal leveling around a room, like installing windows, or vertical leveling, like showing the location of wall studs. It can also tackle outdoor construction projects as it has an impressive range and special features which allow it to be used in any sort of light.
Read on my Bosch GRL300HVCK Rotary Laser Review to see if this is the right rotary laser level for you.
Bosch GRL300HVCK Review Summary
Bosch GRL300HVCK Rotary Laser Level
- Laser Color: Red
- Leveling Type & Range: Self-Leveling, +/- 5 degrees
- Accuracy: +/- 1/8 inch @ 100 ft
- Range with Detector: Up to 1,000 ft
- Rotational Speed: 150/300/600 rpm
- IP Rating: IP54
- Power Supply: (2) D batteries
- Average Battery Life: 40 hours
- Warranty: 2 Year Limited Warranty
- Top Features: Both horizontal and vertical self-leveling, 90-degree plumb and layout beam, variable speed selection, variable scan angles, complete kit of accessories
Pros & Cons
- Multiple choice of rotating speed and variable scan angles
- Include a convenient remote control
- Sturdy design
- Long battery life
- Easy to setup and use
- Not as exact as some people need. Some jobs are necessary to get as flat as possible, and in these instances accuracy to 1/8-inch is just not good enough.
Special Features of Bosch GRL300HVCK
The Bosch GRL300HVCK Rotary Laser Level has a variety of special features that will help you complete any type of construction or home improvement project efficiently and accurately.
- Electronic Self Leveling – This feature helps ensure accuracy, as it takes human error out of the equation. The Bosch GRL300HVCK can electronically self-level for both the horizontal and vertical axis up to 5 degrees, providing 360 degrees coverage of any space.
- A Variety of Speed Selections and Adjustable Scan Angles – This rotary laser tool features variable speed selection of 150/300/600 rotation per minutes and variable scan angles. These features help you see the laser well no matter what light conditions you are working in (except for bright sunlight when you will need to use the laser detector).
- Remote Control – Even if you are working by yourself, you can still use this rotary laser level as it has a remote control that makes it easy for just one person to complete any leveling work.
- High Range and Accuracy – The Bosch GRL300HVCK is accurate to 1/8 an inch up to one hundred feet, both horizontally and vertically. Combined with the included detector, its range is up to 1,000 feet. This detector will also allow you to use the level in bright sunlight when you can’t see the laser.
- Long-Life Battery Power – These features are not going to fail you in the middle of a job, as the Bosch rotary level uses 2 D-Cell batteries which provide up to forty hours of battery power.
- Durability – The machine is built to last a long time, as shown by its high IP rating of 54. IP ratings gauge how resistant electronics are from shock, water and foreign objects. The head of the laser is also protected by a tough cage that means it will be able to survive on any job site.
- It also comes with a padded carrying case that provides solid protection and will help keep the laser in top shape for years to come. If something does happen, Bosch provides a two-year warranty which is standard for rotary laser levels. Even after the warranty ends it is easy to contact Bosch’s service team for any repairs you might need.
Many Applications Of Bosch GRL300HVCK Rotary Laser
- The Bosch GRL300HVCK Rotary Laser Level has many different applications that can complete just about any job. For example, to add a wall in an existing space, simply project a vertical beam where you want the wall to go. This is much easier than the alternative – making a chalk line on the floor and then transferring it to the ceiling using a plumb bob (a weight connected to a string that you hang from the ceiling that acts as a vertical reference line).
- It also greatly simplifies the process of any work that requires you to anchor something to studs – cabinets, shelves, etc. Once you mark the studs, line the vertical beam up with the stud marks and drive the screws in on the laser line.
- The Bosch GRL300HVCK is also quite useful for a variety of outdoor projects. If you are looking to spice up your summers with a deck or patio, a rotary laser level, in conjunction with the laser detector, is a great way to make sure all the walls and railings are level.
Using Tips For Bosch GRL300HVCK
The Bosch GRL300HVCK is a relatively easy laser level to use because it is self leveling, which means no calibrating headaches for you. Give the laser about a minute to self level once you turn it on. After that simply point it at the place you need to level and make your marks. It is really that easy.
Using the laser receiver is a bit trickier as you can’t actually see the laser, but it is still simple enough. When working with the laser receiver, select rotational operation with the highest rotational speed. Point the laser where you need the level, and then bring the laser receiver to a spot where you need a reading. When the receiver beeps, it has found the laser. A second tripod is useful here, as it allows you to lock the receiver in place.
If you need a professional quality rotary laser level, then the Bosch GRL300HVCK Self Leveling Rotary Laser is one of your best options. It has almost all the features and accessories a professional needs to get the job done efficiently and accurately. Accuracy to 1/8 inch is its one major flaw, but that should not be a problem unless you have a very technical task that requires a huge amount of precision. Besides these specific cases, the Bosch GRL300HVCK can complete a huge variety of tasks.
The major pro of the Bosch GRL300HVCK Self Leveling Laser is its tremendous versatility. It is not too large for the weekend warrior to manage alone – it weighs about thirty pounds – but is still able to tackle large construction projects where you need the laser projected over a wide area.
However, if you only need a rotary laser level periodically it may be worth going with a cheaper model. Conversely, if you use a rotary laser level all the time, it is worth making the extra investment in a top of the line model like the Bosch GRL300HVCK. You may be paying more upfront, but you will save yourself a lot of trouble in the future.
Find another rotating laser to compare with Bosch GRL300HVCK? Consider CST/Berger RL25HCK Rotary Laser Level