If you’re a construction professional or an enthusiastic do-it-yourself amateur you probably already know at least a little bit about oscillating multi-tool kits.
“Oscillating” is a fancy word for what you may simply call a “power tool.” Yes, an oscillating multi-tool is an electrically-charged “workhorse” that enables you to handle a broad variety of tasks easily and competently.
And in this article, you’ll learn all about the best oscillating multi tools and how it can help you around the house or at a construction work site.
Best Oscillating Multi Tools – Corded or Cordless?
Oscillating tools, both corded and cordless, are versatile multi-purpose tools. However, corded oscillating tools offer many advantages, especially to construction professionals.
They are ideal for long-running jobs and durable for years, while the cordless tools need to be recharged frequently.
This oscillating tool review includes only corded models because we think they are the better choice for both professionals and DIYers.
In case, you like a battery-operated multi tool to take advantage of its convenience, use this link to find the Best Cordless Oscillating Tools.
Top-Rated Oscillating Multi Tool Comparison
|29-piece kit||34-piece kit||32-piece kit||52-piece kit||36-piece kit|
|See price |
Top 5 Best Oscillating Multi Tool Reviews
Corded oscillating multi-tools are popular with construction professionals and do-it-yourself amateurs. Many American and foreign manufacturers produce them and there are seemingly countless models available in hardware stores all across America and on the internet, too.
There are so many models to choose from that you need to arm yourself with as much information as possible before you make a purchase decision.
This article exists to help you make an informed and intelligent decision. We’ve done the research and believe that the following 5 best corded oscillating multi-tools are among the very best currently available.
Here is what we found out.
If you buy tools, you know about DEWALT. This company has a reputation for producing quality products. And this corded oscillating multi-tool is no exception.
- Lightweight and easy-to-use
- Quick blade changes
- Accurate and smooth cutting
- 29-Piece kit with Storage Box that is compact and portable
- No speed dial may be a concern of some users
- Loudy noise when operating
- The blades are not very durable
The DEWALT oscillating tool DWE315K features a powerful and reliable 3.0 amp motor that makes every cutting job you tackle easy to handle.
Its Quick Change Accessory System enables you to replace blades quickly and easily and its reliable Dial Grip puts you in total control of speed changes that take place while you work.
The Oscillating Tool Guide System lets you set depth and height measurements for accurate readings.
The DEWALT DWE315K has also included a small, but powerful, LED light that brightens dark spaces and makes tough jobs easier to complete.
There are many other features, too, including 29 attachments that feature blades that can handle every project. The Multi Brand Accessory Adaptor lets you use this kit with accessories from other manufacturers.
And while it is lighter than many competitive power tools, it still has a broad range of useful attachments that make it popular with construction professionals.
Rockwell is another manufacturer with a solid reputation for producing quality work tools. The product described here does nothing to harm the company’s good name.
- Includes 34 blades and attachments so that you can handle any job
- Includes 5 degrees of oscillation for fast and accurate cutting
- 4.0 Amp motor provides lots of power to help you complete even the toughest jobs
- Built-in Technology limits vibration to assure smoother, safer cutting
- The sander attachment needs improvement
The Rockwell Sonicrafter F50 is a powerful tool that features what it calls Vibrafree Technology to help you control speeds while working. It also limits excessive vibrations.
The Rockwell Universal Fit System allows you to change blades and other attachments quickly and easily while its Universal Accessory Interface lets you replace existing parts with similar parts from other manufacturers.
The oscillating tool also comes with a Hyperlock tool-free clamp which is easy-to-use and provides one ton of clamping force to prevent slippage during use.
It also features a LED light that illuminates dark work areas without being too bright. Clearly, this is a kit that will serve the needs of both professionals and amateur do-it-yourselfers well.
This oscillating multi-tool is loaded with great features, some of which are not available anywhere else. The company behind this product, Bosch, has a well-deserved reputation for producing high-quality work tools.
And, as many have discovered, this GOP40-30C model is no exception. It is reliable, rugged and built to last for years.
- Quick change blade with StarlockPlus system
- Well-built quality
- The cord is high-quality and long
- Lightweight, compact and very portable
- Not compatible with any of the older styles of blades
Highlight Features of Bosch GOP40-30C
- Starlock Plus 3-D tool accessory interface provides exact grip and more torque when in use
- Ideal for plunge cutting, flush cutting, sanding, grinding, scraping and much more
- Variable speed dial lets you set the optimal speed for the work you’re doing
- Bright LED light easily illuminates dark work areas
- Snap-in-and-out feature makes blade replacement easy
- Includes 32 accessories and case
Come with 32 accessories and case, this Bosch Multi-Tool can be considered a best value oscillating multi-tool to buy.
52 accessories and a 10-foot power cord make this Porter Cable oscillating multi-tool popular with construction professionals and do-it-yourself amateurs.
The lengthy cord enables you to use this tool like one that is battery-operated because you can move freely around a work site to complete a job.
There are many other features that make this affordable multi-tool a “must-have” for everybody who works with his hands.
- Great selections of blades and accessories
- Less vibration
- Easy to control
- Good price for the kit
- No LED light
- The body of the tool gets warm during operation
Highlight Features of PORTER-CABLE PCE605K52
- Includes tool-free system for changing blades quickly and safely
- 3-amp motor provides ample power for DIY cutting jobs
- Includes depth and cutting guide to help you avoid costly mistakes
- 10-foot power cord lets you move around a job site freely and easily
Dremel has long been a favorite with construction professionals and DIYers because their tools are generally affordable, rugged and easy to use. This “multi-max” tool is no exception.
It packs 3.8 amps of raw power, a fact that makes cutting jobs easier. Its 3.2 degrees of oscillation is another positive that makes this particular tool one of the best oscillating multi tool for performance in its price range.
Add to all that the fact that, there are 36 accessories and it’s easy to understand why people love Dremel.
- Tough and durable
- Affordable price for homeowners
- No LED light
Highlight Features of Dremel MM40-05
- High performance 3.8 amp motor easily handles the toughest jobs
- Includes a Quick-Lock feature for tool-less and secure accessory changes
- Quick-Boost feature maintains constant speed through all work applications
- Quick-Hold Magnetic feature holds accessory in place when changing a blade
- Upfront on/off switch allows one-handed use so that you can maintain speed while working
Importantly, it features a superior power-to-weight ratio which means it is compact, relatively lightweight and easy to use. In conclusion: this tool may be a very good buy.
When to Use an Oscillating Multi-Tool
What kind of tasks does an oscillating tool handle?
The better question may be “what kind of tasks is it unable to handle?”
The simple truth is that oscillating multi-tool kits are available at hardware stores everywhere – and online – from most major manufacturers.
And the best oscillating multi-tool kit will put real power in your hands – and the capability – to scrape, sand, grind and cut just about any material.
Clearly, this “wonder tool,” invented about fifty years ago, has revolutionized the way construction professionals and do-it-yourselfers work. It has made their lives easier.
Of course, there is still a lot you need to know about oscillating multi-tools, even if you currently own and use this incredible work aid.
Oscillating Multi-Tools Make Even Tough Jobs Easier to Do
An Oscillating Multi-Tool is actually a collection of many tools offered for sale as a “tool kit.”
When you purchase this remarkably versatile product, from any manufacturer, you get as many as 32-36 attachments (sometimes even more than that) and the ability to handle a seemingly endless variety of jobs.
For example, regardless of which Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit you decide to buy, you will find yourself in control of a tool that enables you to saw wood and other materials … grind … rasp … sand … scrape … polish and, of course, cut.
You’ll be able to handle all of those functions and an endless variety of small and even large projects at home and at a construction site.
Importantly, most Oscillating Multi-Tool Kits are lightweight and portable so that they go where you go and are easy to work with, even when you’re at a jobsite.
Corded vs. Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tools
Oscillating Multi-Tools are available in two distinctive and different kinds of models – corded and cordless.
Corded Oscillating Multi-Tools, 5 of which have been reviewed in this article, offer many advantages, especially to construction professionals, but also to do-it-yourselfers.
However, they also have some disadvantages, negatives you need to know.
Corded Oscillating Multi-Tool
There are many reasons to like a Corded Multi-Tool. Here are the most important ones.
- Ideal for Long-Running Jobs because you never have to stop working to replace a battery. That means you save time and get the job done faster.
- Compact and powerful – ideally-suited for effectively reaching into tight, small spaces so that no job is “too small” to complete
- Low-Cost Maintenance because you never have to spend money on costly battery replacement
- Rugged and Durable and built to last for years, even when used frequently. That’s why Corded Oscillating Multi-Tools are extremely popular with construction professionals.
- Includes Accessories for EVERY Job … virtually all corded Oscillating Multi-Tools come with as many as three dozen attachments so that you can work on – and easily complete – just about any task. And because it’s a corded multi-tool, you get the added power that electrical current provides.
- It’s affordable … a budget-friendly purchase that will pay for itself many times over
What’s Not Good?
Of course, even the best tools feature something that may not please you. When it comes to a “corded power tool,” you may find that the weight of the multi-tool may be somewhat uncomfortable for you.
That’s because most corded oscillating tools generally weigh at least 4 pounds (including the cord), sometimes even more than that.
Keep this thought in mind: this type of multi-tool is the overwhelming choice for construction professionals.
It may be that the weight factor is not that much of a concern because most corded tools are compact and, as a result, easy to handle and use.
You may be asking yourself right now if a cordless oscillating is the better choice for you. I’m going to lay out the specifics about cordless tools and you can make your decision – corded or cordless – based on what you learn as you continue reading this article.
Here are the facts about cordless multi-tools.
Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tool
Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tools may be the better choice for homeowners and do-it-yourselfers, people who like to fix things at home with their own hands.
A cordless tool tends to be lighter than its corded cousin and, while its battery has to be replaced periodically, it is unlikely to occur frequently because do-it-yourselfers tend to use work tools far less often than professionals.
There are many good reasons to rely on a Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tool. Here is everything you need to know.
- It’s an incredibly versatile and multi-purpose took … you can use it so many ways and for so many different jobs throughout your home and in the garage. It will enable you to work “like a pro” even though you’re a do-it-yourself amateur
- It’s compact and lightweight which makes it surprisingly easy-to-use. And that means you’ll be able to complete small projects around your home successfully
- It’s versatile … it includes attachments that enable you to handle just about any job, such as trimming panels … cutting out outlets … repairing and replacing drywalls and much more.
What’s Not Good?
Of course, as is true for just about any product, there is one key disadvantage you need to think about and consider before making a purchase decision.
Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tools are battery operated. As such, the battery that powers this device will run down over time and force you to stop working on a project until you have purchased and installed a replacement.
That’s lost time which can be frustrating when you’re working on time-consuming tasks such as removing grout or sanding.
What may be even more troubling is the fact that replacement batteries are expensive. You will have to spend money on a costly battery with relative frequency if you use your oscillating multitool regularly and on lots of projects.
Keep that in mind when you’re deciding on purchasing a Corded or Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tool. Corded models may cost more initially, but you will never have to spend money on replacement batteries.
How to Choose the Best Oscillating Multi Tool
As I noted earlier, Oscillating Multi-Tools are advertised and sold as “kits.” That’s because they include as many as three dozen attachments, including lots of different blades so that you can handle a broad range of job functions.
Of course, some kits offer more features and attachments than others. When shopping for an Oscillating Multi-Tool, your “best buy” opportunity will be for the kit that includes as many of the following components as possible.
Here are the kit features that can serve most of your new construction, repair and replacement work needs.
Look for these Product Features When You Make Your Purchase Decision
- Quick Change Accessory System enables you to change sharp blades and other attachments quickly, easily and safely
- Dial Grip Trigger – this useful feature lets you control the many speed changes you need when performing a task. It makes it easier for you to safely control all applications you employ, as well
- Bright LED Light brings much needed illumination to dark work areas and makes tough jobs much easier to complete
- Extra Long Cord allows you to move away from the outlet from which you draw power so that you have lots of room to operate and work effectively on your project
These are features – the important “extras” – you are likely to find in the very best oscillating multi tool kits.
Along with the many different blades and other attachments each kit also includes, they’ll make it much easier for you to successfully complete work projects whether you’re a professional at an outdoor work site or a do-it-yourselfer bending over a work table in your own garage or basement.
See also: Best scaffolding systems for home use